The organ was brought to All Saints in 1989-90 from Wealdstone Baptist Church, Harrow, England. It was built in 1857 by Bishop and Starr, "Organ Builders to Her Majesty". This company is considered to be one of the finest of the English Victorian organ builders and their instruments are renowned for their quality of tone and construction.
This historic instrument will be the only example of the work of this builder in Australia. (It is our understanding that a Bishop & Starr organ was imported to Tasmania last century but has since been destroyed.)
Upon its arrival in Australia it was restored by the firm Pitchford and Garside, Sydney, and installed in All Saints' new organ loft. It was dedicated by the Lord Bishop of Canberra and Goulburn, the Right Reverend Owen Dowling, on 22 April 1990.
The organ is used for accompanying hymns, psalms, settings, and the choir at high mass and evensong. It is also regularly used in concerts given at the church.
The organ has two manual keyboards and a pedal keyboard and the action is mechanical (tracker) throughout. There are 647 speaking pipes of wood and metal construction and the specification is as follows:-
The organ is currently maintained and tuned by Peter DG Jewkes of Sydney